Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Instant Messaging Applications

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:59:46 -0500

Neksus wrote:
A solution that I implemented in the past (for MSN) is as follow:

Unfortunately, a number of these won't work for our situation. Not sure if I mentioned it in the original post or not, but I'm dealing with an academic environment in this case. They like things to be "open" and as least restrictive as possible.

1. Install a firewall, block everything that is a direct connection
from the desktop.

While we do have (multiple) firewalls in place, we simply can't do this. It would never fly.

2. Install a proxy for FTP, web and https (20/21/80/443). Only the
proxy server should be allowed to directly connect to the internet.

We recently started doing transparent proxying for port 80/TCP. Since this is a "test", I can't get a couple of more machines to do redundancy/failover. If the one machine dies, the transparent proxying can quickly be turned off. Apparently, squid has issues is you try to transparently proxy HTTPS, for example. For this reason, I can't use GPOs to configure the proxy settings, as it would take too long to get changes out to machines if the proxy died and we had to disable proxying. Not to mention that a number of these are personal machines (e.g. students'). Trying to do something where they had to configure the proxy server for every application would result in an exponential increase in the number of calls to the help desk.

3. Put the MSN domain name in your own DNS to prevent the application
from reaching the server by hoping on port 80. I forgot what is the
domain name off the top of my head.

This is what I'm doing currently. I have "authoritative" entries for messenger.hotmail.com, login.oscar.aol.com, msg.edit.yahoo.com, and a number of others all pointing to 127.0.0.1. This will only last until someone figures it out, however.

4. Block access to the local hosts file to avoid clever users from
adding the IP in the file (Windows will read this file first, then
DNS). Users should not be admins of their own machine.

True, but when the users own those machines (see above, some of them belong to students), I can't control them. For faculty and staff, it's not a problem. Policy dictates that they don't use IM.

5. Install an internal server if you have a large user base (country
wide or international). Microsoft has one that is easy to setup but
you'll need to use Windows Messenger instead of MSN messenger. They
also release Windows Communicator or something close that is Windows
Messenger on steroids.

We don't use IM, internally, so no need.

There might be other ways. I'm just giving you my own recipe.

Understood. Please don't think that I'm "bashing" any of your suggestions -- it's simply that they won't work in the environment I'm dealing with. This is something I've been struggling with for a lengthy period of time, with no solution having yet been found.

Thanks,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN
http://www.linuxwiz.net/

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."