Security Basics mailing list archives

Blocking Instant Messaging Applications

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:23:43 -0500

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing what others are doing to block Instant Messaging traffic on their networks. We would like to block all IM traffic due to security concerns and, less so, bandwidth concerns (large file transfers).

Normal measures that one would take are futile. These IM applications are very "port agile" and will simply try another port if the first doesn't work. Blocking 1863/TCP, for example, does nothing to stop MSN Messenger.

Many months ago, I implemented the tips that Microsoft outlined in KB article 889829 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/889829) to no avail. A few days ago, I made our DNS servers "authoritative" for messenger.hotmail.com and webmessenger.msn.com, and added A records pointing to 127.0.0.1. These seems to have taken care of MSN Messenger for the meantime, but it's only a matter of time before someone figures out what's going on and how to bypass it. I haven't yet attempted to block AOL or Yahoo's Instant Messengers, but those will be next.

We have a policy that takes care of the problem on the employee side of things, but we are an .edu and we can't apply that same policy to students using the labs or wireless networks in our building.

I'm interested in hearing about "software" solutions to this problem, and am trying to avoid throwing additional network appliances or devices into the mix if at all possible.

Thanks,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."