Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [ISW] AOL mail issues

From: Shawn Duffy <shawnduffy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:52:19 -0400

Essentially, here is what is happening.  AOL is set up to block incoming
messages if the mail server sending the message does not have a proper
reverse DNS entry.  For example, say your server has a host name of
mail.mydomain.com and an IP address of 12.34.56.78.  Of course, you already
have a DNS record for mail.mydomain.com that points to the proper IP
address.  However, if you enter the IP address you will likely get something
like adsl-12-34-56-78.dsl.cityst.myisp.net.  Since the do not match, AOL
does not allow the message to go through.  To make matters worse, most
companies do not have any control over these reverse DNS (PTR) records.

1)  This is general good practice and you would be hard pressed to
find any major provider who isn't doing the same thing.  If your IP
doesn't reverse properly, you're gonna have problems sending to a lot
of people, not just AOL.

2)  Most commercial hosting providers DO provide control over DNS PTR
records.  So if you have a hosted domain and mail, this should not be
a problem.  Residential users do not have control over PTR records
because it's generally unnecessary and much of the IP space is
dynamically allocated.  Regardless, unless you're one of my
residential users (as in, I am your provider) there is no reason to
accept mail directly from you.  It may be inconvenient to some but,
unfortunately, it's become necessary.

3)  That is not the main reason you are having so much trouble sending
email directly to AOL.  It's part of it, but AOL is set up to not
accept mail directly from major blocks of residential or
dynamically-allocated IP space.  Again, for any large provider this
isn't a bad idea either considering the spam loads they deal with
every day.

My aim is not to defend AOL but just present the facts.  With spam as
bad as it is, though, I can't say I blame them.

sd