Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [ISW] AOL mail issues

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:28:13 -0700

Hey X. I've had the same problem many times over. Besides this Gmail
account, I also have my own mail server running at home (home office
actually). It's used by all systems locally, and usually works like a
charm.

I've received the EXACT same problem when trying to email clients that
use AOL - emails bounce back to me since the mail server shares my
Comcast BUSINESS account IP#. (Comcast insists I pay for a business
account since I have a home office. It's basically a way to charge me
twice what I would normally pay for the same speed.)

I've yet to find a way around AOL's "solution" for halting open
relay's beyond changing the mail server to Comcast when I need to
email someone at an AOL email address. Top that off with I can even
use any of the three domain name accounts I own since they are on a
shared server which made its way onto a blacklist from some idiot
spamming who knows when. (I've tried to have it removed only to get
automated replies and crap back. I've given up.)

If you happen to find a way around this, I'd be most appreciative for
an answer. It hurts business productivity having to stop everything
I'm doing just to change a mail server to please one ISP.

One options I've thought of - if you want a simple solution, host your
own "website". There are plenty of simple tools out there so even
someone who hasn't a clue about how to setup DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc
could still pull it off. Google programs like "Simple DNS", "Free SMTP
Server", "Simple Server WWW". While it certainly wouldn't be the most
secure setup, it can be done. Isolating the machine on the network
that is hosting everything would suffice for most. Just a thought.

--
Peace. ~G