Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port open - help

From: Peter Rodger <prodger2008 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:55:31 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes.  We do run Exchange servers and open 25/110 for
the exchange servers on the PIX.

What are the banners
when you telnet to those ports from an external
machine?

I got a empty black screen.

What I found out that port 25/110 open on the PIX
external interface, any server that has static mapping
on the PIX has 25/110 open.  I have no idea that
25/110 open on the PIX public interface and I did not
open that ports on the PIX public interface.  Why did
other servers have these ports open even we did not
open on these servers?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Peter

--- Mike <mike_sha () shaw ca> wrote:
Maybe the PIX is forwarding 25/tcp and 110/tcp to
another server?  A
mail server in particular.  Do you run Exchange?
What are the banners
when you telnet to those ports from an external
machine?

Mike.