Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Career Choice

From: Mitchell Rowton <mrowton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:36:30 -0600

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:09:44 -0500, Richard Kirk <saviente () gmail com> wrote:
I am currently a student at DeVry University studding Network
Communications Management. My true concentration is in security
forensics.

In any case the more I looking into vulnerabilities and network flaws
the issues come from within the programming of the
application/protocol etc. and most assaults use multiple programming
languages to execute these attacks.

I have two questions, the first is should I be learning how to
program?

It sounds like you may be referring to penetration testing rather than
forensics.  Programming is definitely a critical function of pen
testing and probably a little less important in forensics.  At least
an entry level understanding of basic concepts (sql injection, cross
site scripting) is a must in any security function.

--
http://www.securitydocs.com/
Directory of Network Security White Papers