Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RPC over HTTP security

From: "Depp, Dennis M." <deppdm () ornl gov>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:12:12 -0500

No it is not equivalent.  RPC over HTTP requires authentication prior to
allowing RPC traffic.  However, if a mobile user was infected with a
worm that utilized RPC as an attack vector, then this traffic could be
allowed into your network. (After the affected user was authenticated.)
Of course the same is true for VPN technologies as well.

Dennis