Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Some Few Doubts on IIS Vuln

From: Charles Otstot <charles.otstot () ncmail net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:41:15 -0500

I haven't weighed in on this topic up to now, but I haven't seen any responses that address the main requirement for determining whether you are receiving a false positive from a Nessus (or any other) scan.....
Know and understand the target system thoroughly.

Not knowing how to actually execute an attack against the described hole doesn't mean you should be able to determine whether the scan really found something. While there may be some esoteric vulnerabilities found which you may not be able to adequately decipher on your own, the majority should be easily verifiable. A quick (and admittedly simple) example... One scan I checked (not a Nessus, btw) misidentified the operating system version and declared that the OS was behind on service pack levels. Knowing the current service pack level both for the OS in general and on the target system specifically; it was easy to determine that the "flaw" lay within the scan configuration and not the system. I've seen scans identify vulnerabilities against applications not installed on the target, failing to identify vulnerabilities on applications running on non-standard ports and more. In no case have I ever had to attempt to create an attack to determine whether the scan was accurate or not. Knowing the target system and the associated vulnerability, in most cases, allows me to separate the wheat from the chaff. In those instances where a result isesoteric enough that I may be unsure, I rely on further research, both on the vulnerability and on the configuration of the target to help ensure that I make the proper determination of the appropriateness of the scan finding.

Charlie

kaps lock wrote:

Thanks for your reply Dave,

Basically i was asking how to determine nessus results
to be false positives or actual holes in network.

As i percieve i think if i craft the same request for
an attack ,i cud decide based on response whther its a
false positives or not..but am failing to craft those
requests coz i don;t know how to...

like uploading a test.html file and deleting it on a
webserver ..i hav no clue how to craft a equest which
cud actually uplod a file and delete it.So basically
how can i trsut nessus on tht.

then finding the Authentication mechanism behind a
given smtp server seems to be a big vulnerabilty but
how cud i determine whther nessus was true bout it or
not...coz i don't know how i cud actually craft a
request which would help me determine the
authentication mechanism or fail me.

thanks for the pointer on wfetch it seems like a great
tool but i still need to know 1) a good place where i cud learn crafting same
requests a s nessus seeing results to ascertain as a
false positive or not.

2)or if you coudl teach me a process of how you go
about deciding whther a result is false positive or
not.
thanks
kaps
--- dave kleiman <dave () isecureu com> wrote:

Kaps,

You did not specify what you did the NESSUS scan on,
but I will take a shot
that that it sounds like IIS5.

1.  .IDA ISAPI can be many things, for example, the
Index Service running
provides for administrative scripts .IDA files. Installing URLScan will
block these requests, and provide you with a log of
the attempt, therefore
you would see what Nessus was attempting.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=23d18937-dd7e-4613-
9928-7f94ef1c902a&displaylang=en

2.  Wfetch will let you do those commands manually:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/e/5/de5351d6-4463-4cc3-a27c-3e22742
63c43/wfetch.exe

3.  Since we do not know what mail server or what
authentication it uses
this might be difficult.

4.  Have you visited the documentation on
http://www.nessus.org/  ??

Regards,

Dave Kleiman, CIFI, CISM, CISSP, ISSMP, MCSE

www.SecurityBreachResponse.com