Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: sha-1 cryptography

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 03:47:42 -0800

SHA-1 is not a criptographic algorithm, it's a hash algorithm, and it is known that SHA-1 just as all others SHA
algorithms have a finite number os possibilities for a hash code. It means that two objects could generate the same
hash code.

well strictly speaking, all hash algorithm are cryptographic
algorithm. They are just "one-way" crypto-algorithms.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus