Security Basics mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: Cracking simple password encryption]

From: jim () openanswers co uk
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:51:34 -0000 (GMT)

Subject: Re: Cracking simple password encryption
From:    jim () openanswers co uk
Date:    Wed, December 28, 2005 10:49 am
To:      "Thomas Muders" <thomas.muders () gmail com>

aQ==    i
cg==    r
ew==    {
aWo=    ij
aXE=    iq
e3g=    {x
aWpq    ijj
aWpx    ijq
aXFx    iqq
cnFx    rqq

so you can continue with the rest, I'm too lazy for that ;)

Thomas

If you compare the Base64 decodes characters with the plaintext a pattern
seems to emerge.

a       61
i       69 -
----------
         8

b       62
r       72 -
----------
        10

c       63
{       7B -
----------
        18

I know the signs are wrong BTW. Each charcter appears to be transformed
before being base 64 encoded.

'a' = 'a' + 0x08;
'b' = 'b' + 0x10;
'c' = 'c' + 0x18;

Without any other crypts to go on I can't test this pattern further.
Perhaps the pattern starts again at character 4, which might explain some
of the behaviour noticed by others. There was mention of a decoder for
these crypts; can someone post a URL with the details? What are these
crypts used for anyway?

Regards,
Jim Halfpenny

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus