Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Internet Toolbars for Win.

From: Synister Syntax <synistersyntaxlist () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:07:24 -0500

Rob:

      I would say you are correct.  Although Yahoo doesn't see it that way.

      Lets see:

 Yahoo! collects personal information when you register with Yahoo!,
when you use Yahoo! products or services, when you visit Yahoo! pages
or the pages of certain Yahoo! partners, and when you enter promotions
or sweepstakes . Yahoo! may combine information about you that we have
with information we obtain from business partners or other companies.

      And

 Yahoo! collects information about your transactions with us and with
some of our business partners, including information about your use of
financial products and services that we offer.

 Yahoo! automatically receives and records information on our server
logs from your browser, including your IP address, Yahoo! cookie
information, and the page you request.

 Yahoo! uses information for the following general purposes: to
customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests
for products and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct
research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external
clients.
      Lets just say I would never use it.  And i uninstall it off
clients computers everyday.  I do agree with ilaiy though, no need for
them at all.  Google also "tracks" some of your surfing, and they all
are just one more peice of software to be exploited...Your call

 - SynSyn