Security Basics mailing list archives

worm that crashes win explorer upon search

From: Leon <roastin () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have a client who suspects that they may have a worm
running around there network that is infecting
machines through open shares or some other means of
propogation.  The symptom is that when people open up
windows exploer and try to search the explorer.exe
process dies.

I installed the microsoft spyware application and they
are using up-to-date virus definitions with their
scanner.  I also went through netstat looking for
strange open port and saw nothing.  The event log also
has nothing out of the ordinary in it

What is the best way to troubleshoot something like
this?  I can get the dump file from dr watson but I am
unsure where to go from there.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thx,

Leon