Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: Steven Kalcevich <lists () ciscokid net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:26:59 -0400

I currently have CISSP, CCNA,CCDA, a 2 year college diploma in computer systems, in 3rd year for a Bachelor of science in Information systems, PMP scheduled Sept 24th. Do the degree 100%. With that then work on certifications if you wish. I found that cisco certs was a waste as no employer cared about them its assumed knowledge and everyone has them. My grandmother could take a bootcamp and get CCNA. If you are unemployed in canada you can get the government to cover a CCNA training camp and exam. CISSP and PMP they care about a lot, CEH and security + no one cares about. CCSP may be hard to get and take a lot of effort but most employers dont know what it is so dont care about it. CCIE I found for the most part its not worth the effort unless you say work for Bell or a VERY large consulting firm or cisco partner that will shell out big bucks for you. It takes too much effort and there is too much risk in obtaining it on your own without a company backing you. Having a ccie alone without many years of previous experience is useless. Learn the material but dont waste your money on the exams.If you will not pay to recertify when they lapse dont bother. I am glad you didnt say MCSE as its assumed knowledge. Unless a job REQUIRES a specific cert its a waste of money. Dont be that guy that has a zillion certs that overlap it shows nothing then you spend a lot of money on the same basic material. Be different!

Regards,

Steve Kalcevich

soumyadipta_das () yahoo com wrote:

Is it better (in terms of technology and industry acceptablity) to get a university degree on information security than certifications such as ccna/ccsp, ceh (or security+) and cissp?

Soum