Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Outlook Security

From: "Robert McIntyre" <robert.mcintyre () earthmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:18:43 -0700

By default the .pst file is in the user's profile.  If you are using NTFS
permissions then the permissions on the file should already be the
following:

Local administrator - Full Control
System - Full Control
User (owner) - Full Control

This will prevent a regular user from accessing the .pst file but will not
stop someone who is determined to get to it.

For desktop computers, my company moved the .pst files to the user's home
directory server.  This is not supported by Microsoft but works ok for us.