Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ssh tunneling to bypass web proxy rules

From: Sagiko <sagiko () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:09:39 +0800

hi,

There are a number of ways to do it. Assume this guy has full control
over an external server and your firewall or filtering mechanism does
not stop him from access to that server through SSH (outbound port
22).

What he will do is port forwarding the webtraffic (port 80) using SSH
(check the -L or -R option in the man manual) from his pc (inside your
network) to his external server.  At his external server, the SSH
daemon will pick up this traffic and redirect it back to normal web
traffic. What you can do to stop this is to filter or at least limit
unnecessory outbound SSH traffics. Or you can get a firewall which
have the feature to check tunneled traffics and protocols.

Also he can choose to use an external proxy server to by pass your
local proxy restrictions as long as your local proxy allow him to
connect to that external proxy. (although that's not really a SSH
tunneling).

regards,
Rick Zhong Liming

Welcome to SINgapore <IN>FOSECurity Interest Group at:
www.sinfosec.org