Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mac X-Server Security Questions...

From: Javier Blanque <javier () blanque com ar>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 00:00:48 -0300

I agree with you about securing by mixing platforms and adding layers of complexity (even if it complicates our existence). But I don't agree about everyone being the same thing, there are guys that are corporate "kids" more prone to add functionality to their systems, and people that think about security from the design. OpenBSD is not the same as Windows, I probably wouldn't install a Windows based firewall for network protection of a corporation, but I could use OpenBSD for the task. May be there are good firewalls for Windows, but their task is more difficult because of the size of the os (functionality and generations of work without security as a priority). Mac OS X is a secure OS, of course comparing it to the rest. Not as good as OpenBSD but better than Windows or Linux, still not without bugs; and we nedd to remember: a bad platform well administered is better than a good platform without care, from a security vision. Apple helps you with security matters more or less the same as other propietary platforms, it always depends on knowing the right persons. The problem is reaching those persons.
Best regards,
Javier Blanque