Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mac X-Server Security Questions...

From: Javier Blanque <javier () blanque com ar>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:31:49 -0300

Hi Brad,
ipfw is a totally capable stateful firewall, but is necessary to configure it. You can do it partially by way of the GUI but for making use of all its power, you need to go through the command line. It's a stateful firewall within the same league as iptables at GNU/Linux or pf (packet filter) at the BSD variants. You can close every address:port/protocol inbound or outbound at your network with any firewall, and if there is not known vulnerability with your firewall, you will be relatively secure internally (up to the point one of your users installs itself a trojan horse and opens a tunnel from the interior of your network to the internet, through your firewall or by way of a backdoor thhrough a modem or other not protected link). This article from Peter Hickman at MacDevCenter (at Oreilly) may be useful to you... http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/03/15/firewall.html, or this from Bil Hays at http://www.ibiblio.org/macsupport/ipfw/ or this by Damien Gallop at http://www.macwrite.com/criticalmass/mac-os-x-built-in-firewall.php As for your comment on hardware vs. software firewalls, really there are no hardware firewalls, only black boxes and open boxes, where you can know or not what is installed, even the ASIC equipment have firmware programming. Every major black box firewall vendor based its products on known operating systems and built upon it. Cisco, Astaro, etc. all selected a relatively secure OS (BSD, GNU/Linux, etc.) and hardened it. And after that, they put its firewalls (a software application, module, or whatever you want to call it). Please, don't do more bashing. When something breaks in the area of computer security, 90% of the time is a configuration problem and not the base tools. I recommend you to build a two layered approach to your network, as a method to do not incur into security problems the next time, first install an external firewall (i.e.: pf based on OpenBSD) and an internal firewall (i.e.: SuSE firewall2 on SuSE GNU/Linux), and install the servers that have contact with the exterior at the DMZ or de-militarized zone in between. Your corporate data must be on your interior network and only the necessary data must be replicated or accessed (restricted by address:port/protocol) to the right server at the semi-public zone (controlled by the firewalls). This architecture serves you as it is heterogeneous (it is what you trust more), specially if you have windows and macintosh servers and clients. If you are not very experienced with pf and iptables, I recommend to use the FWBuilder rule generator initially, to learn and experiment with NAT and the most common schemes. Sonicwall has its bugs too, as every major vendor, but the problem is mostly at the configuration step (we always need to remember the Paretto's law). You need to plan first your architecture and security with an integrated vision. Of course being always patched and being informed about security alerts of your platforms is essential. Common sense is the silver bullet. We need to remember that we don't need to be speedier than the Tiger, we only need to be speedier than the other preys.
Best regards,
Javier Blanque