Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure web site access and PKI Certs

From: "Keenan Smith" <kc_smith () clark net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:38:11 -0400

All,

Thanks for the good information.

To clarify, the certificate itself isn't password protected.  The
username/password authentication is via a web page.

The certificate is used to identify the user and the login on the web
page authenticates that user.  As one of you said, removing the
authentication portion removes the "what you know" half of the 'what you
have/what you know" security scheme.

For a "secure" site, this seems to be counter to what is desired.

To continue this thread, given that the possessor of the certificate has
full access to this site as me, how transportable is the certificate?
If it is somehow stolen from my machine and a copy of it installed
elsewhere, can it be used in the other location?  My understanding of
certificates would make me think "yes".

Thoughts?

Keenan Smith