Security Basics mailing list archives

Mobile Users and Firewalls - best practices?

From: lmwills () telus net
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:54:31 -0700

My company has a hardware firewall.  Most of my users who have laptops have
hardware firewalls at home - but for those who don't I was going to recommend
they use Sygate as their personal software firewall when they are not in the office.

What are your suggestions?

Does the user activate their software firewall when out of the office and then
drop it when they are behind the hardware firewall?

Are there conflicts beetween the two firewalls?

Is there a firewall out there that you feel is really great that I might be missing?

Lisa Wills