Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: User account auditing

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 19 Apr 2005 10:17:49 -0000

With multiple platforms like Windows, Linux, As400,
Unix etc. How do you manage and verify accounts on
these systems ?

On Windows, I understand "manage", but what do you mean by "verify"?

Do you have all admins send a monthly report on the
accounts present, last time account was utilized etc.
?

When I was in an FTE position, I had a script that would access the domain controller and get all of the last login
times.  I'd then break it down by 30, 60, and 90 days...with certain steps forwarded to the sysadmins based on the
increment.

This would also have to be done for database like
Oracle, SQL, SYBASE...

Sure.  I don't really see where that's a problem.  I think the biggest issue is going to be the requirements
development...what is it that you're trying to do?

H. Carvey
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com
http://windowsir.blogspot.com