Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Access to Non-domain computers

From: Faleh Daoud Abdel Monem <abdelmonem () webone-tunisie com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 18:26:47 +0100

The DHCP protocol in it's design leaks of an auth mechanism as it work by broadcasting request since the client don't have an ip in the beginning of the process:

   - The client broadcast a DHCPDISCOVER request.
-The server broadcast a DHCPOFFER and temporary reserve the IPAddress that he has offered. -The client if it accept the offered IPAddress establish his configuration and respond to the offering server with broadcasting a DHCPREQUEST. -The server respond to the client with a DHCPACK. this is the first step in the DHCP protocol where broadcasting is not used.

As we can see it's mainly based on broadcasting also the client don't have an IPAddress to be able to authenticate it self against a domain server, So let focus on another way to limit access as ima not aware of any product that may provide the required functionality. First of all a free network plug in an uncontrolled area of your etablisment may result in a security breaches as it may result in a hard to guess passive sniffing of your network traffic. Blocking access with MAC Addresses can be a solution but this would result in an extensive administration tasks, also in MSwin2k DHCP server MAC Address is used for IP Address reservation for a specific host. Another available feature in MSwin2k is the /setclassid switch of the ipconfig cmd line tool you may set this on all your allowed hosts ipconfig /setclassid myclassid and configure the the address pool on your DHCP Server with to give a lease to machines with this classid, another little pool space (ex 10 IPAddresses) without any option (default gateway ..) to hosts that don't much the correct classid, you could also write a little script that ping this pool of addresses or monitor the leases on this pool when ever a host has got a lease in this pool that mean a possible breaking and you can investigate on. The problem here is that we are relaying on obscurity and the assumption that a possible breaker could not know about our setting. A better practice is to limit broadcasts in your network using VLANS you could separate your network in more organized areas witch maybe easily controlled and checked, Configure a DHCP relay agent in each area, and you have a better control on your network.

Hope this would help, I am interested in any possible solutions or suggestions about this thread.

Best Regards, Daoud.
Steven A. Fletcher wrote:

That is the only option I can think of.  If you think about it, how
could you keep non-domain computers from getting an IP address?  As far
as I know, there is no provision in DHCP for such control.  For the
system to determine whether or not to give the machine an address, the
machine would need to be able to communicate with the domain
controllers, which would require an IP address for the communication to
be able to happen.

Steve Fletcher
Senior Network Engineer, MCSE (NT4/Win2k), HP Master ASE, CCNA,
Security+
Integrity Technology Solutions
Phone: (309)664-8129
Toll Free: (888) 764-8100 ext. 129