Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Definitions

From: "easternerd" <easternerd () gmx net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:35:33 +0530

Hi,
When we talk about Universal Enforcement in the field of security, Solutions
like NAP by Microsoft and NAC by Cisco systems come to mind, They are end to
end solutions within the intranet (incl connections to the intranet).
These systems check the security of the machines and instantly shuts down
the ports of the machine not confirming to the security policy implemented
sitewide.

When a connection is made from the internet to the internal site, They
Enforcement Software such as NAP and NAC check for machines compliance and
only let them in if they confirm, otherwise they are channelled into a que
where they are given an option to rectify their machines with the current
policy in place and update accordingly, otherwise they are disconnected from
the network instantly.

These are just a couple of implementations that Big time solution providers
are coming up with, and this in my view is exactly what Universal
Enforcement means in one way or the other to get it secured.

Related Links :
http://itpapers.news.com/abstract.aspx?docid=78519&promo=300111&tag=wpr.1011
,1725,1728,1729,1730
http://itpapers.news.com/abstract.aspx?docid=96271&promo=300111&tag=wpr.1011