Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Detecting new Windows .jpeg exploit

From: "Bowes, Ronald (EST)" <RBowes () gov mb ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:16:35 -0500

Another option would be to obtain file version information from
gdiplus.dll on an unpatched machine, and then compare that to that from a
patched machine.  Then write a Perl script to connect to each system as a
domain admin and pull the file version information from that file.  Any
system on which the file versioning information does not equal what you
found on the patched system should be considered vulnerable.

That's what I was looking for, the actual file that we can fingerprint on
the machines so that we can tell.

Sorry if I used some confusing language, even I wasn't entirely sure what I
was thinking when I wrote that.

Thanks!

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html