Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Defense in Depth

From: Kenneth R Swain II <ken () kenswain com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:27:58 -0400

Let me see if I can clear something up.

----------
|           |
|           |  Internet facing firewall
---------

DMZ

----------
|           |
|           |   Internal firewall
---------

As you can see the DMZ is the area in between the two firewalls. You really do not want any servers receiving service requests on your most protected side(behind the internal firewall). You are doing the right thing by keeping them where they are.

Defense in depth is something that takes layers. You have take one of the steps with separating what is receiving requests from the internet from your LAN. You now need to finish out the package. You need AV, patch management, host based IDS, Network IDS, and auditing just to name a few. Defense in depth is hard to achieve for a home user since it means computers that are dedicated to things like IDS. Once you have these in place you also need configure and tune them. There is no magic bullet and it will take some work. Good luck.

-Ken