Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'; Re:

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:09:46 -0700

My suggestion was meant to be used in addition to deploying some other
browser and/or mail client. That way they can use IE only for the
application and are forced to use the other browser for browsing the
web.

I realized that, unfortunately I didn't express the problem I saw very
well. =P My fault.

It's hard to completely explain the ActiveX component without
revealing too much (security/privacy wise), which is limiting the
information I can put out to the world. (After all, I'm already
concerned about it.) I like the idea and will give it a try, although
I'll bet it will cause a problem with the way they link to the
database through the ActiveX component. (It sends them through a VPN
off to a data warehouse.) I'll bust out Poledit and see what harm it
causes. Thanks for the suggestion - I had dismissed it before thinking
it would break other aspects, but now that you got me on that path
again, it just might work.

Thanks for all the help - looks like wheels are finally starting to
turn on both ends of this problem. ;) (The java solution was accepted
- now we just have to wait for them to develop it. They estimated 4-6
months so I'm stuck with ActiveX and IE until then.)

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Again, appreciate the intelligent replies.

--
Peace. ~G

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:41:00 +0200, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers