Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'; Re:

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:41:00 +0200

On 2004-10-08 GuidoZ wrote:
On 2004-10-08 GuidoZ wrote:
I'm open to other ideas too from anyone - the situation in a
nutshell is an orgranization I support needs to migrate away from
IE. (The users really can't handle the spyware and such, no matter
how hard I try to educate and prevent.) The only thing holding them
back from switching is a proprietary ActiveX application that they
use to interface with their data warehouse.

I would try to lock down IE and limit access to localhost and the
data warehouse host by setting the proxy to 127.0.0.1:9 except for
localhost and the data warehouse host. These settings can be enforced
through group policies or local policies (if you don't have a Windows
200[03] domain controller at hand). That way they could use IE for
the data warehousing application, but not for surfing the web.

While that would work quite well, unfortunately they also need to surf
the web. (Email too.) Hence why I'd like to get them away from IE.
Give them a browser they can use, but is less likely to be hijacked
every time I leave their workplace. =/

My suggestion was meant to be used in addition to deploying some other
browser and/or mail client. That way they can use IE only for the
application and are forced to use the other browser for browsing the
web.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."