Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How secure is VPN access?

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:42:04 -0600

Normally, VPNs are very secure, however, I do have to agree with the CIO on this one. Unless the user can prove that they are taking all necessary security precautions, such as anti-virus and firewalls, and that they are remaining up to date, they should not have their own personal computers connected through a VPN. Company owned laptops could still pose a problem, but are less risk.

The reason company owned laptops could still pose a problem is because of the large number of users who are using their own private networks and connecting the company laptop to their own network. Why does this pose a problem? If the home computer is infected with a virus that spreads via the network and the business laptop is not protected against the threat, the virus could spread to the laptop and then continue to the company network through the VPN. Yes, it is probably an unusual circumstance, but it is possible.

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln () otc edu
417-447-7535

Cesar Diaz wrote:

List,

After years of having VPN access for our remote users without a single
know security incident, my boss and I have to justify to her boss why
VPN is secure.

The CIO wants us to only allow users to access the network from
company laptops, not from their own home computers.  We currently will
allow users to install the VPN client software on their home computers
to connect remotely, or they can use Citrix through SSL access to get
to network resources.  His concern is that if a users home PC is
compromised, that compromise can spread to our network.

Is this a legitimate concern?  Can anyone point me in the direction of
some documentation backing either argument?

Thanks in advance for any help.