Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How secure is VPN access?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:31:15 -0800

  Yes, it's legitimate.

  Many companies terminate their VPNs directly on the internal network.
A better practice is to terminate in a DMZ, so that traffic between VPN
clients and the secured network is filtered through a firewall and/or
IDS.

  Some VPNs can be configured to allow "split tunnelling", where the
remote client only uses the tunnel for traffic to/from the secured
network, and doesn't use the tunnel for other Internet traffic.  Although
this makes efficient use of bandwidth, it opens up the possibility that
a VPN client machine, if compromised, could act as a proxy gateway between
the two, bypassing your other perimeter security measures.  Split
tunnelling,
if available, should be turned off.

  Several recent VPN offerings have begun including facilities to verify
up-to-date antivirus and other security configuration on remote clients
before allowing connection.  I think that this is a good way to address
your CIO's concerns while continuing to provide access for your users.

David Gillett