Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Preventing users from deleting all their files

From: Secure Lockdown <secure_lockdown () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:00:02 -0500

Luis has brought up an interesting point.

On November 15, 2004 4:52 pm, Ramsey Consulting Services wrote:
Well, if the company is willing to do it, have the users store their
(work related) files on the network. On windows NT/2000/XP, having their
profile on the network would do, and wouldnt be a terribly difficult or
drastic change. Have nightly backups of all the users files, so at the
least they would only be able to delete the last days worth of work.

that is the standard practice. but - what of work/company data on local disks?
how can we make sure that staff don't store important/valuable data on local
disks, and if they do, how can we prevend loss of that data?

regards,
sl