Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SCP win2K3 to RH9 troubles

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:23:16 +0100

On 2004-11-03 Kelly Martin wrote:
Bénoni MARTIN wrote:
[...]
I tried then with sftp and psftp from windows, but cannot manage the
trouble of avoiding a prompt asking me the password ...

Don't put the password in your scripts, obviously. Try something like
Pageant, Putty's version of ssh-agent:

"Using Pagent for authentication" -
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.56/htmldoc/Chapter9.html#C9

I agree, public key authentication is The Way(tm). However, I would not
recommend using pageant here but rather use "pscp -i <key> ...". Of
course in this case the key must not be protected with a passphrase, so
one will have to make sure that noone but the user himself has access to
it.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."