Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless LAN Security for Warehouse

From: "Matthew Kemp" <mkemp () depaul edu>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 11:13:35 -0500

Jennifer,

  Do not spend a whole bunch on vendor's with security features, if you
don't have to.  The best bet is to just follow some best practices:

1) Monitor who's connecting to your access points
2) don't broadcast ssid
3) use wep, and rotate on a quarterly basis
4) come up with some sort of registration solution (eg
http://www.netreg.org)
5) if any data is traveling across this medium that needs to be secure,
secure it!
    (use end-end encrypting where applicable)

All of the above require that you have manageable aps (eg cisco).  I
would hope your current network equipment is capable of handling vlans.

Matthew P Kemp
LAN/WAN Integrator

"Jennifer Fountain" <jfountain () rbinc com> 5/3/2004 3:56:27 PM >>>
My company is looking into wireless technology for our warehouse to
replace our RF devices.  I have been tasked to research which
techonolgy
we should use.   Right now, we are looking into symbol.  They seem to
have a good infrastructure.  What is your opinion on their product's
security?  Can anyone recommend any other wireless products or
recommend
certain security requirements that I should look for in these devices?
=20

Thanks for any help!

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Fountain

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545
off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or
less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert
instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of
in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the
skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your
organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html