Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protecting an Exchange server?

From: "Micro Kluge" <microkluge () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:50:16 +0000

Don't believe the POP method is going to work.

What your describing is the traditional mail-relay setup. There are a ton of options in setting this type of thing up. Since your going with Exchange you could do a Front-end /back-end server configuration. This requires "Enterprise" licensing and means another Windows server to get jacked. You could also use other e-mail systems to relay the smtp traffic which might utilize a more secure os/app You might even consider, depending on the security classification of your e-mail, to hire a company such as "Postini" to pre-filter your mail traffic. Upside = your only accepting smtp from a certain range of IP's and your mail is being filtered through another layer of virus defense before it hits your servers. Downside = cost, possible (however remote) data theft.

Lots of research.  Good luck.