Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:03:32 -0800

The "reasonable man" hypothesis applies to connecting to a system to
which authorization is in doubt.  Would a reasonable man conclude
that
http://www.cnn.com is an acceptable connection in the absence of
explicit permission?  I would say yes, he would. Would a reasonable
man conclude that ftp://www.cnn.com is an acceptable connection in
the
absence of explicit permission? I would argue no, he would not.
What's
the difference?  HTTP is generally accepted to be a public
connection,
in the sense that it is intended as a shared resource, to be
accessible to all.  FTP is not generally accepted as such, regardless

of what electronic storefront happens to be offering the service.

That's simply not true.

Agreed, it's not true. FTP is a standard, well known protocol for
transferring files.
Are you saying that website that link to ftp servers to download files,
like the
protocol was intended to do, is in fault? FTP is as much as accepted as
HTTP, seaming
they are 'generally' accepted to be a part of the TCP protocol stack.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html