Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: book for a newbie...?

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:03:03 +0530

I've done a few scans with shieldsup to check basic ports and our firewall
is quite strict...we passed and it appeared that we are quite secure.
'Appeared' to me may be nothing of the sort to experts of course!

so your external link is secured. that good! but periodic scan are necessary. also doing other things like antivirus
updates and installing patches for winnt should also be on the top of your task list.

The two most important things about the internet link is that our
mail(server is in the states) has to come and go(like everyone else!) and
our connection to citrix metaframe servers in the states. These
are critical
to the running of our business. I want them to be free flowing but
secure...if that's possible!

are you doing some sort of encryption for the traffic ? win2k has builtin ipsec solutions that do this very
transperently. or alternatively you could use one of the following products openswan http://www.openswan.org
openvpn http://openvpn.sf.net

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html