Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bypassing quarantine with ADS formatted filenames

From: antir0gue <antir0gue () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 05:53:05 -0700 (PDT)

Doesn't all file stream information get stripped when
it leaves a file system that supports it. i.e. NTFS -
yes, FAT - No.  Even if the files were streamed it
seems you would lose this information/file through an
email anyway.

----------------

Jack Cullen <jack_cullen () hotmail com> wrote: Is it
possible to get file attachments past AV software by
using alternate
data stream type filenames?
We have set McAfee GroupShield to quarantine all .zip
files yet several
people have received messages with .zip attachments
that came in the
following formats:

The attachment 'Informations.zip:Informations.txt'
-or-
The attachment 'sample01.zip:data.rtf
.scr'

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up
– now 3 months FREE!

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this
ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to
be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our
expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with
years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking
lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of
your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html
http://mail.yahoo.com