Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Discovery & Asset Management Tools

From: brennan stewart <brennan () ideahamster org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:53:47 -0400

Free is better. script the following.

at specified intervals
nmap network
compare results of scan to approved host list
if a new host has appeared, launch version scan of that host
move results of the scan with the timestamp to a webserver, adding a
link to the scan and a message if new hosts appeared
Change the meta tag to refresh regularly, like 1x per minute.
During the day, browse to your site https://newhostfinder.mycompany.net

You could tweak the following an infinite number of ways, use different
tools, etc. Stay with open source though.

-b