Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: antivirus for linux

From: "Jason Jaszewski" <sec_info () page55 com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:01:11 -0500

        I use ClamAV (http://www.clamav.net/) and Exiscan
(http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/) to scan emails as they are received
and sent via my mail server. I have users accessing email via Windows
clients such as Outlook and Outlook Express, and therefore like to scan for
virii at the MTA level. I have found ClamAV to be pretty easy to install and
configure. You don't need to use it in the above capacity; you can use it to
scan files and folders from the command line.
        I have tested it pretty extensively and have not seen (or heard from
anyone) any virii that have gotten through; although I cannot vouch for any
heuristic scanning features within it. There is an auto-updater called
freshclam that comes along with it, which you can schedule updates to happen
at pretty much any interval you like. The signature database is kept very
up-to-date.
        All in all, I would think it couldn't hurt you to install anti-virus on a
linux box, especially if you are providing email services to users on
Windows. There is, of course, a small performance hit with having
Exiscan/ClamAV scan each email, but it is small and doesn't impact overall
performance in my experience.

Hope this helps,
Jason