Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blocking NetBios

From: "whirlow" <admin () whirlow plus com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:38:37 +0100

To follow on a bit from the other posts regarding your issue. Assuming
that your clients network is solely running Win 2k/xp, you could use the
following as there are four default ways to block NetBIOS on a Windows
2000 system.

1) IPSecurity Filtering (Unrelated to IPSec)
Located: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy -
IPSecurity Policies
Use: Define a rule for destination ports tcp139 and 445 from any source
port / source address to 'My IPAddress'. Create and assign a blocker
rule
to this filter.
Pro: ports 139 and 445 will not respond to a port scan. Filters are
granular per protocol, and source and destination ports and addresses.
Con: Tricky to setup the first time. Blocker rule must be manually
defined
Reboot Required?: NO

2) Advanced TCP/IP filtering
Located: Control Panel - Network - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
-
Advanced - Options - TCP/IP Filtering Properties
Use: Permit Only specific protocols. Do Not permit tcp (protocol 6)
ports
139 or 445
Pro: ports 139 and 445 will not respond to a port scan
Con: Permit Only mechanism means you have to specify each allowed
protocol,
including RPC ports. (also: ICMP will be permitted even if you specify
'permit only' and leave permitted fields blank)
Reboot Required?: YES

3) Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (suggested in other posts)
Located: Control Panel - Network - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
-
Advanced - WINS
Use: Click radio button to "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
Pro: tcp 139 will not respond to port scans
Con: tcp 445 will still accept connections and process NetBIOS
Reboot Required: NO
**WARNING: This method gives a false sense of security and should not be

used as tcp 445 is still open and will accept connections**

4) Unbind File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Located: Control Panel - Network - Advanced (from menu bar) - Advanced
Settings
Use: Select Network Card to unbind NetBIOS - Uncheck File Sharing for
Microsoft Networks
Pro: Will disable all incoming requests to tcp 139 and 445
Con: tcp 139 will appear on a port scan, but will not respond to
requests
Reboot Required: NO

I find options 1 and 4 preferable depending on requirements.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html