Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue

From: John Harmon <slackboyau () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:43:17 -0400

I just recently moved into a new house and signed up for a new comcast
account.  Their setup is very different then it was even a couple of
months ago.   I was very hesitant to install the comcast "support" cd
and I voiced my concern to the installer but he said that comcast
wanted all customers to have comcast email addresses and so they
started the new installation policy.

I was curious about what was going to be downloaded and also about the
new policy so as soon as the modem fired up I started snort and
sniffed some traffic and then did some pings and traceroutes to see
where I was.  In these few short minutes I came to the conclusion that
comcast drops you into some subnet where you are behind some kind of
proxy/firewall/router where you don't actually have internet access
but just have access to some comcast servers where you download the
software and they can tftp a new config file to your modem(this is the
config that the cable modem hackers are changing when they mess with
the bandwidth caps that comcast puts on your modem).

After the new config is downloaded your modem restarts and you are on
the internet.  I didnt turn off my firewall and/or antivirus during my
install that I can remember and you have to do this setup without a
router/firewall because of the network that you get dropped into.

I am def not advocating this new policy because as soon as they send
that new config file you are wide open.  Instead they should go back
to handing out public dhcp addresses and  if they have to have all
customers sign up for an email address put all new customers IPs
behind a proxy where you sign up and then as soon as that is done take
the IP out from behind the proxy...this way people can keep their
antivirus and firewalls and also dont have to download the comcast
"support" software.