Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue

From: Michael Cecil <macecil () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:26:48 -0500

At 02:25 AM 7/20/2004, dave kleiman said:
>Ken,
>
>You actually have to install software to utilize Comcast's cable network?

No, of course not. I think they only want no firewalls installed when the modem is initially provisioned for a new user. During that connection the modem is not active on the main network yet.

Of course, once the modem is provisioned, you always need to be careful of worms, etc. so if you're installing an OS from scratch, it's a good idea to leave the modem off until the OS is patched and the firewall is installed and configured.

>You have no option to use your own cable modem?

Yes, you can do that if you want.

I haven't had any real problems with @Home/TCI/ATT/Comcast except for the exorbitant costs.
--
Michael Cecil
macecil () comcast net

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html