Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RFMON detection

From: "Steven Hess" <stevehess () covad net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:00:36 -0400

The detection of radio reception is utilized in the following
systems.

Neilsen / Arbitron channel detection - short range detection of the
television or radio IF frequency, to determine the channel or
frequency the viewer or listener is tuned to. For example, this is
the method the Neilsen set top box detects the viewed channel in a
metered household. (system is going away with the APM rollout). I
believe the BBC uses a similar system in mobile vans to catch
unlicensed (untaxed) TV receivers in Great Britain.

IMHO - It is theoretically possible to detect the IF frequency of the
802.11x card, as they all use analog RF detection methods. However,
the card RF section is usually shielded, and 2.5 gig band is full of
everything from microwave ovens, at approx 2150 MHz, to portable
phones. Very noisy analog area. Your mileage could vary.