Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Info HIDS

From: captgoodnight () acsalaska net
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:14:07 -0800

On Thursday 08 July 2004 03:21 am, Carlos H wrote:
Hello list,

recently I have been deployment a DMZ.  I'm trying to install and
configure an HIDS (tripwire) to get intrusion's information about a Web
Server (WebServer1).

Looking on Tripwire's manual i found that is necesary (i`m not really
sure!!!) that Tripwire run on the same machime to be monitored.  I mind,
Tripwire must be installed on WebServer1.  That is not good for me!  The
question is: Exist another way to configure Tripwire (or other HIDS)
looking for detecting a remote host? Is possible to install Tripwire in
a diferent host to WebServer1?

Carlos H.

Not sure if my method applies, but on my honeypots, I use tripwire binaries from a
CDR; activated by cron. Reports picked up internally via pop3s. A pattern of retrieval/activation
becomes obvious, thus a tell all to suspicious activity. Timing between the machines should be
kept aligned too (ntpd); small window.  Ssh could also be used instead of cron/pop3s.
CDRs are a good way to keep binaries honest, chkrootkit is also used from the CDR.

I know there's holes in this method, I do only run light weight honeypots though. Not a honeynet.

Just a thought.
cg

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html