Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Info HIDS

From: Don Voss <voss () albany edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:56:34 -0400

Carlos,

Just a lurker here .. but I think I can answer this one.

You have a misunderstanding of HIDS in this context. Host Intrusion detection system with tripwire.

Tripwire must be installed on the target host.
It should be installed and configured on a clean host, before it is exposed to jeopardy.

Quote:

"Tripwire1 is a file system integrity-checking program for UNIX operating systems. To use it, you first must build a configuration file that designates the directories and files that you want to verify and the attributes you want to have verified for each. You then run Tripwire (with the initialize option) to create a database of cryptographic checksums that correspond to the files and directories specified in the configuration file.

To protect the Tripwire program, configuration file, and initialized database against corruption, be sure to transfer them to a medium that can be designated as physically write-protected, such as a disk or CD-ROM. This read-only version then becomes the authoritative reference program, configuration, and data, which you can reliably use to test the integrity of directories and files on your system.

In addition to one or more cryptographic checksums representing the contents of each directory and file, the Tripwire database also contains information that allows you to verify:

* access permissions and file mode settings, including effective execution settings
    * inode number in the file system
    * number of links
    * user ID of the owner
    * group ID of the group of users to which access may be granted
    * size of the item
* date and time the item was last accessed, the last modification made to the item, and the creation date and time associated with the item's inode

For any system, you want to verify the integrity of all critical operating system directories and files, plus any other directories and files that you consider sensitive or that have no reason to change under normal conditions. Pay particular attention to executable programs, daemons, scripts, and the libraries and configuration files associated with them. ..."

End Quote.

The above is shamelessly stolen from a CERT description/install guide for tripwire. I am sure it applies to you.

http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/implementations/i002.02.html

regards,

/don

Carlos H wrote:
Hello list,

recently I have been deployment a DMZ. I'm trying to install and configure an HIDS (tripwire) to get intrusion's information about a Web Server (WebServer1).

Looking on Tripwire's manual i found that is necesary (i`m not really sure!!!) that Tripwire run on the same machime to be monitored. I mind, Tripwire must be installed on WebServer1. That is not good for me! The question is: Exist another way to configure Tripwire (or other HIDS) looking for detecting a remote host? Is possible to install Tripwire in a diferent host to WebServer1?

Carlos H.
--

Donald W. Voss                                     voss () albany edu
Sr.Systems Analyst

OK, the jokes is over, you can bring back the constitution now.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html