Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help installing Nmap

From: Alex 'CAVE' Cernat <cave () cernat ro>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:39:43 +0200

I'm trying to install nmap-3.50xxx.rpm on a redhat linux 9 box.  When
I run the rpm command with the -U switch I get:

  error: failed dependenices:
       nmap = 3.00 is needed by (installed) nmap-frontend-3.00-4.

I've looked all over the place and don't have time to read the history
of nmap and the internet to figure out how to install the frickin
package.  Does anyone have a quicky fix for this problem?

the message is clear :-) you have 2 options
1: uninstall package nmap-frontend, then upgrade nmap to 3.50
2: upgrade both nmap end nmap-frontend to 3.50
and 3 ofc: you can upgrade using the --nodeps (or --no-deps) and maybe
--force; the advised version is either 1 or 2

Alex

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!