Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to secure my yahoo account

From: "DC O'Dcriscoll & Associates" <dcodriscoll () privacybasics info>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:36:54 +0000

How can you know if your yahoo account password has been cracked in case the cracker doesn't change it or manipulate any other data relevant to your account(for instance after reading your mails marks them as unread,etc)?
My suggestion would be to avoid using a Yahoo account for anything that requires security.

Basically any webmail service such as yahoo has the same problem - you are trusting them to be secure with out them providing much evidence of how they are going about it. Even hushmail, which is supposed to over come all the security problems as with traditional webmail (encrypted storage and transmission of data) has this issue. Unless they completely throw open their software and architecture then you are just taking their word for it that they are doing what they claim to be doing.

Yahoo and Hotmail both have secure login but they then drop the https once you are in which I find irritating. For your situation, ideally they would provide some sort of time stamp message, saying something along the lines of 'you last logged in at...', but this presumes that the cracker has come through the front door.

There are techniques which can reduce the risk but they depend on the specific needs of your situation or where you think the threat is coming from - it depends on whether you think your yahoo account is being randomly accessed by a hacker, or specific targeting of your account is occuring.

Donal

--
dcodriscoll () privacybasics info
40 Pinfold Lane, Lancaster, LA1 2BJ

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------