Security Basics mailing list archives

*warning* student question

From: Aaron Scribner <awscrib () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:54:41 -0600

I have been lurking on this list for about 3 months now....and I am more clueless now than when I signed up.

One day talking to my prof after a UNIX/TCP class, we started talking about raw socket programming. My prof introduced the idea of being able to program with raw sockets to "hijack" a connection. He presented this to a buddy of mine and I as a self-study in the Network Lab. Basically, be able to get into a system without a trace and be able to receive the packets back. I know you can change the IP and MAC ID of the IP header, but then you have to worry about the random CRC of IPv6 (and being on this list and reading, I found out most routers will just drop invalid packets). I COMPLETELY have not a clue where to start. I read whatever I could get my hands on over the winter break, but I know nothing when it comes to network security, just network communication through code. I have a background in c/c++ and a couple years of game development (then went back to school after the game flopped), so network security is far from my specialty.

The point of this email, is this even possible to accomplish? We have another project that we can work on that we will be able to complete to 85% no problems. Should we attempt to take on the "network hijacking" project or just look at something else. I do not need a solution to the problem, as that would defeat the purpose of the class, just curious if anyone has researched this or attempted to do it themselves.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

Aaron

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------