Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to find a changing IP on ethernet network

From: "Bruyere, Michel" <mbruyere () ezemcanada com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:29:35 -0500

Hi,
        IMO my best bet would be to look at the ARP traffic using ethereal
then use NBTSTAT -A The_ip when you see the Ip change. This will give you
the session name used on the computer (supposing, it's a windows system)

M.Bruyere

Hello. I have a client with a simple Ethernet network with HUB's
connecting and there is one person that is changing it's IP and
creating conflicts. What would you do to track down that person? i
mean, to find who does that? Thanks!
Ivan Hernandez