Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FTP Proxy

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:10:34 -0300

At 10:50 30/01/2004 -0300, you wrote:

The outside FPT server pertains to other company . I do not sure if I've expressed correctly my problem. I think this must be a very common problem " connecting with FTP clients to the outside world through a firewall". In our case, the fact of having a departmental firewall and a proxy in the middle may difficult the things. So because we are newbies with linux, iptables, etc. we are a little lost.

If the squid is just a host between the "External Firewall" and the "Internal Router", then:

Download an FTP client such as WS_FTP, and try to do both passive and active transfers from squid. (You can set "Passive Mde Transfers" in "Options" -> "Session").

Then try the same thing from the same you could not FTP.

Let us know the result.

Perhaps you were just using an FTP client that used active transfer, and that was the reason why you couldn't FTP.

With the above tests, we'll know which of the firewalls (or both) must be "tuned".

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------