Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unix Permissions: Using groups to isolate users from webserver

From: lists <lists () innocence-lost net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:03:32 -0700 (MST)

you can compile php as a cgi or as a shared object linked into apache,
however suexec becomes pretty pointless if you dont make php a cgi. There
are some snafu's with suexec, but once you get the permissions issues down
(files/directories that are/contain cgi's must be owned by the user they
are to run as and not be writeable to world/group, etc), it works pretty
well.

Perhaps what you should consider for your situation is something a little
more estoeric, perhaps something like extended posix acl's, rsbac
(rsbac.org), or even grsec's acl's, it has a bit of a learning curve
however once you get it deployed and working, you will be happy that you
did.

--

There are only two choices in life. You either conform the truth to your desire,
or you conform your desire to the truth. Which choice are you making?