Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Syslog events

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:55:31 -0600

I am unsure about file permissions, but I can tell you what we do with our syslog server. We have approximatly 70 servers, 15 of which log to the syslog server (all Linux servers and a firewall). To prevent not logging an event we want, we send all syslog messages (*.*) to the logging server. From there, we split the different types of logs into the different files. If you do this, make sure you watch the server load and make sure that messages are not being dropped or lost due to too many messages being sent on a small pipe or on a slow network.

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln () otc edu
417-447-7535

Juan B wrote:

Hi,

I set up a syslog server on my network.

on the linux machines I put the line:

security.* @loghost know when I issue the command (for example) su- i see an event on the syslog. I want that also file
permmissions will be loged in the syslog. also,what do
you think I need to log to the syslog? on windows and
linux machines ( hope it wont kill my syslog).

thnaks,